The Broadband Advisory Committee will research and explore possibilities of increasing internet coverage in Westmoreland and bring their findings to the Board of Selectmen.
I provided an update several weeks ago on the latest progress for the Fiber Project here in town. In an effort to provide more clarity and increased transparency, starting today I will be providing a bi-weekly update regardless of progress. What does this mean? It means that updates may actually have no update at all. Likely not to occur after the network build commences, but it could happen. By communicating more frequently, even if there is no update, it helps to ensure that folks in town do not miss out on anything. That is my goal.
With that in mind, here is the latest update:
· I received an email from our contact at the bond bank. The email contained a current schedule for the current bond process along with important milestones.
· As you may recall, we are at a point in town where we are awaiting the bond auction to occur. The bond auction essentially allows investors to bid on available bonds. In a nutshell, this is where the bond bank figures out who will fund what bonds.
· The two most important dates on the schedule are July 14th and August 12th. July 14th is the date of the bond auction and August 12th is when funds will be disbursed.
· After bonds are disbursed, I am not certain when CCI will begin the actual build, but based on previous conversations and the rough schedule, it should be within a week or two. More to come on that front as the information becomes available.
Broadband Project Update: 7/16/2020
Good afternoon all. Hope all is well and everyone is staying healthy. For the Broadband Project, here is the bi-weekly update.
· Per the schedule, the Bond Bank held their auction on 7/14.
· As expected, the Bond was sold. This is a huge milestone as it means that we have been awarded the funding we applied for!
· The Bond Bank is in the process of putting together all the necessary paperwork. Once completed, they will forward to the town for the selectmen to review and sign off on (provided no issues found).
· Once the paperwork is signed off on and returned to the Bond Bank, the bank will then in turn wire us the full amount for the bond on August 12th.
· Please bear in mind that the only actions by the town that need to occur are the review and sign off of the paperwork by the Selectmen. As they are all busy men, they will find time to do this. Know that their review and signatures have no bearing schedule, meaning a sooner review and sign off does not mean we get the funding sooner. Wiring of money will occur on August 12th regardless, unless the paperwork is not signed by then (but I don't think that is a concern :-))
· Once the town has the money in hand, there will be more clarity on when trucks will start rolling from CCI. As mentioned in previous updates, mid to late August is the estimate at this time.
Although over 100 people have attended our public broadband meetings, not everyone who wished to was able to attend. To help those who wish to learn more, JJ has put together a website that will quickly allow viewers to gather accurate information at their convenience, including a list of Frequently Asked Questions that you may find helpful.
Chris, JJ and John
John Snowdon (603) 399-4847
The Fire Department Facility Advisory Committee will research options and recommend how to proceed following the results of the needs assessment done by Scully Architects regarding the existing fire station.
New Fire Station: RFP Architectural Design Plan
2017 Scully Feasibility Study – Fire Department
Tom Finnegan - Chair (399-7272)