History & Heritage


The first settlers came up the Connecticut River in canoes from Northfield, Massachusetts in 1741, after the original charter was granted by the Massachusetts governor in 1736. A subsequent charter was granted by King George II of England in 1752, and the town was incorporated under the name of Westmoreland in honor of an English Lord of that name. Westmoreland, while basically an agricultural community, supported many mills and other small industries during the late 1700’s and throughout the 1800’s. In 1800, the population was recorded at 2,066. Today’s population is 1,730 and includes residents  of the Cheshire County Nursing Home located in Westmoreland. 


A treasure of  interesting Westmoreland history may be found in The History and Genealogy of Westmoreland, NH published in 1976.  A copy may be purchased from the Town Administrator or the Town Clerk.

Park Hill Meeting House & Historical Society

JJ Prior - Director

Emilia Prior - Director

Walter Carroll - Park Hill Meeting House Property Manager

John Harris - Corner School Property Manager

Jean Prior - Clerk

Jan Hurley - Treasurer

Jan Carpenter - Archivist

Deb Stavseth - Assistant Archivist